Last fall my dad got a job transfer to London. He and my mom are all settled in now and loving every second of it. Especially my mom, who is going crazy with spreading the gospel. She loves living in the mission field and invites people to church like every week. We decided that we'd better go to London while we had a place to stay and a mom to make us food everyday! It was.. go 30 weeks pregnant or go with a 2 month old little one (because they will coming home in Aug). So we went. The nine hour flight was pretty miserable, especially because it was overnight. We got to London at 9:00 am (2:00 am our time) and with no sleep. It was awesome. We survived with a little ambien and had a wonderful trip!
My parents live in this beautiful neighborhood in Kensington - the first pic is of their apt. It's like one of the neighborhoods I would walk through in NY and dream of moving to someday. We got off the plane, dropped off our stuff and went and saw the city.Did you know that in February it's Spring in London? We were so surprised to find green lawns, flowers, and blossoms on the trees, while it was snowing in Utah. We walked through Green Park...
...and saw Buckingham palace
and died strolling through the cute old streets! There are all sorts of little alley ways that make you feel like you're in Disney Land.
My mom was so proud of her navigating skills that she has acquired since living in the big city - knowing how to use the public transport etc, so we let her take us around for awhile Thanks mom! We rode lots of buses. It was just fun to be in the city.The National Gallery...
and Trafalgar Square
Our first night there my mom took us to evensong at Westminster Abbey. It was actually a really cool experience. FYI, if you go evensong it's free and you get to see the Abbey etc. If not, you have to pay like 10 pounds (20 bucks). For evensong you get to sit in the choir seats right by the choir. We heard an all boys choir that was amazing - such cute little boys, I couldn't believe the voices coming out of their little bodies.
Parliament and Big Ben at night. Beautiful.
We wanted to see an old English town, so we took a day trip to Canterbury. It's a charming little place with a beautiful cathedral.
I had to take this picture because I totally felt like I was in the movie Harry Potter! Behind the Canterbury cathedral there is a school where the kids really wear Harry Potter uniforms and have British accents! They were just getting out of class as we were walking by.
This area is right by Chaucer's house.
Adam wanted a prep pic of me in England - here it is!!
Canterbury still has an old city wall around it with a gate! This bus could barely fit!
This pic is for Sarah.
I've always wanted to see a real castle so my mom and dad took us to Hever to see the childhood home of Anne Boleyn. Here we are at the train station.
To get to the castle you either have to take a cab or walk a mile on a country lane - hello, cab or walk in the English countryside?
It was basically what I always pictured it to be. We even saw real thatched roof cottages. The English countryside walk was definitely my favorite part of the trip.
When you get to the castle you have to walk through the back gardens first. I wish I could have taken my wedding pictures there.
An awesome candid side-view of my growing belly.
The Hever Castle
Adam and I made it through the maze! Can you feel the excitement?
Our last day in London Adam and I took some time to ourselves and basically walked half the city. We saw the London Tower and Tower Bridge. We walked across the river and visited St. Paul's Cathedral. We went to the Museum of London and saw remnants of the old London city wall.
We ended up at Regents Park (the most beautiful park in London, according to Lucy) It was actually really gorgeous and so different from the parks in the US. Everywhere we turned it seemed like we were in some palace garden.
My mom kept raving about the "secret garden" she found. It's part of Regents Park but supposedly, well according to Lucy, nobody knows about it! From her directions (and the huge map of the park) we found the hidden place.
There were only a handful of people that came into the garden while we were there, so maybe it is kind
secret. We liked to pretend that it was.
It was a short trip but lots of fun. Thanks mom and dad for everything! We loved staying with you in your perfect flat and romping around the city.I had to include these pics. Random I know, but kind of cool. This is Greenland from the airplane window. Pretty eh?
6 comments:
Man I always dream of going back to London. Now through the magic of blogging and your pictures I felt like I was there! I'm glad you guys had a great trip. I can't imagine that long of a flight being 30 weeks pregnant?
oh come on! your baby is so lucky - it gets to live inside you AND go to London? Not Fair!!
WOW, what a trip!!! I am totally jealous! Thanks for sharing all these fun pics and letting me live vicariously through you. And how's the bebe?
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I loved loved loved living in London when I did my study abroad, and I am dying to go back. Someday....
Sooooo fun!!! I want to go!!! How are you feeling? We need to play before we move!!!
i love you guys in london!! i esp love adam in the secret garden. he's got a secret and he's not telling anyone.
i miss you guys everyday. just come back for a weekend so we can go to great adventure in jersey. i've been looking up the roller coasters online and if i don't go on king da ka soon, i might die.
Post a Comment