Three years ago on Memorial Day we started this little blog of ours. We had been married for 3 months, were living in NYC, and thought it would be a good way to keep in touch with our favorite people. Adam was actually the instigator of the blog set up and he created our title of Chinese Tacos and Pinkberry. What in the world is that? While we were in NY there was this Taco place around the corner from where we lived. The funny thing about it was that it was run by a Chinese family. Chinese people making tacos...only in NY. They made really good tacos and we ate there a lot. Another thing we couldn't get enough of was Pinkberry. I think Adam must have been hungry or something when he was first creating our blog because that's what our title ended up being. I always thought I would change it, but now it's been three years!
So here is to our new blog, name and all. These are the first changes I've made to my blog EVER. My friend Melissa who I used to garden with at the MTC (we both worked for the BYU grounds crew, the best job in the universe) has a beautiful blog, so I asked her how she did her format, made her photos bigger etc. Thanks Melissa for helping me update my blog!
The last couple of weeks have been a little crazy around here. On about May 12th Adam's thumb started hurting. It was a little swollen but there wasn't a cut or a sliver or anything that would explain why it was painful. He thought he may have bruised it or fractured a little bone. A couple days passed and his thumb was HUGE and getting hot and red, signs of infection. It was also REALLY painful. He was taking Lortab and was still dying of pain. He went to the Dr. who said it was infected, gave him an antibiotic and told him he'd feel better in like 48 hours. A day later it was worse, way worse. He went to the Dr. again who cut his thumb open to drain some of the puss. Sick, I know. They also took a culture of it to find out what in the world was wrong with him. The Dr. gave him a shot in the bum, a new antibiotic and told him he'd feel better in 24 hours. A day later it was even WORSE. So it was back to the Dr. who took one look at it and sent him straight to the ER. They hadn't gotten the results of the culture back and so didn't know what it was yet, but they put him on an IV of several antibiotics. The next day they called and said he had MRSA, this crazy staff infection that is resistant to all the antibiotics he had had so far. Then they told him they hoped the infection hadn't gotten into his bone because then they would have to amputate his thumb and hopefully it wasn't in his blood stream because then he would die. Awesome. Thanks Dr.
They decided he needed to be on IV therapy. So I went to the hospital to learn how to hook up his meds while at home and the home delivery peeps dropped his stuff off at our house. So for 12 days he was hooked up to his IV for 8 hours a day. Poor Adam, I felt so bad for him, he didn't feel good, was hooked up to an IV, couldn't really work, was stressing about if he was going to be able to keep his thumb etc.
Here is a pic of the boy in IV Therapy at the hospital.
Those balls below are the antibiotics I'd hook up to him twice a day for 4 hours each.
These pics of his thumb are actually after it started looking A LOT better. I thought I'd spare you the really bad pics. It was pretty ugly at the beginning.
After a week or so of being on the IV his thumb seemed to be getting better, but then he got a high fever. They told him to call immediately if he had any sign of a fever because that could mean it might be in his blood (blood infection = possible death) He went and saw the Dr. again who told him it looked like a viral infection unrelated to the bacteria. BUT, then his fever didn't go down and he ended up going back to the Dr. again who then was pretty worried about how bad the fever was and wasn't sure what was going on. True story: Adam said to the Dr. "My wife is worried that I'm dying" and he responded "Well you might be." Not the best thing to hear. They took some cultures of his blood to make sure the infection wasn't in his blood and he wasn't going die. Luckily his blood seems to be good. So now it's just waiting for his body to get better. My poor husband has been sick for like a month. I'm pretty sure things are just going to get better though. He has actually been feeling pretty good for the past two days. It has really made me grateful for all he does to help me since he hasn't been able to do much for the last little while. Get better soon babe:)
Other things going on around here...it's hot and officially summer. I took Lyndsey's girls and Grant to the park by our house the other day to let Lyndsey have some time with her new baby and to let the kids play in the river. We have this amazing park just a block from our house. It has a stream, lot of trees, a great playground, a volleyball court, etc. It's one my favorite things about our neighborhood. The kids had a blast in the water and didn't want to go home.


10 comments:
Christy! Poor poor Adam! I can't believe it.
I am sorry I have not called back in so long. Things are so crazy. I wish I could come and help you out. I will call tomorrow at find out more. Adam is such a hard worker--I bet this is driving him CRAZY. Love you and praying for the thumb.
I have been wondering/worried about his thumb. I Hope that this IV antibiotic kicks that infection in the butt!! I'm sure you are a great nurse!
I love the river pics. All those kiddos are adorable!
Oh my GOSH!!! What in the world?? I am so sorry about the thumb, Adam! And sorry for you too, Christy. Good lands. I hope he gets better very very soon.
Scary! That is really crazy! I hope he gets feeling better.
oh my, poor adam... i'm so glad that he's on the up and up! What a scary time for all of you!
As for that little creek, LUCKY kids - and what a nice sister you are to take your sis' kiddos... nothing like having a little time to yourself with a newborn :).
PS: thanks for the shout out - you are kind. AND, that MTC grounds crew job WAS the best job ever!
I'm so sorry for you and Adam. Hope he's REALLY on the mend. How are you feeling? I hope you're taking it easy. (As easy as you can being in your 3rd trimester with a 2 year old :))
Holy SICKNESS! That has got to be one of THE WORST things i have EVER seen in my LIFE. I cannot fathom what it looked like at its worst. Im so relived tho that he id doing better and not going to die on you anytime soon. I hope and pray that everything heals the way it should. you guys are in our prayers. That looks like such a fun little creek/stream. oh how lucky you are. Its already over 100 degrees here and only promising to get worse.
Seriously, the sickness. I can't take it! Thankfully he's getting better now. P.S. Can you come give me some tips on my blog? I need an update!
Christy! Look at you being all high tech with your blog. You're going to have to teach me:) Maybe when I come SEE you (yayyy).
Poor Adam - I can't believe that's the thumb improved! I've been so sad for him & you & Grant - I don't think I'd have endured it as well. SO SO grateful he's getting better. Love you!
I am so sorry to hear about how bad things have been for you guys! Glad to hear that things are getting better, but we will keep you in our prayers! Wish we lived closer so we could help out!
Post a Comment