Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The first day (a couple of weeks late)

We tried to get a "on the porch first day of school pic", but he wasn't really in the mood and this is what we got. 

 Grant started preschool! He has been soooooooo excited ever since we went and checked it out way back in June. There are a couple of preschools right in our neighborhood that are taught out of peoples homes, so back in June we visited three different schools to see which one was the best fit. The Little Redd School House, run by Mrs. Redd, felt right, and we signed him up. Mrs. Redd has taught in the public school system for years and has taught preschool out of her home for like the past 12 years. She's older and wise and kind and patient and she sings lots of songs. There is also another teacher, Mrs Aaron, who is younger, probably my age, who taught kindergarten for 3 years, but now has children of her own so is helping Mrs. Redd do preschool. For weeks Grant talked about how he was going to school and all the things he was going to learn and how excited he was. Knowing Grant, he is a HUGE talker, I was a little worried that his excitement was going to fade on the first day. Sure enough it did. I didn't know how bad it was going to be, kicking screaming bad, or just crying, or maybe he was going to be totally fine, but I decided to drop Davis off at the neighbors so it would be just Grant and I. And that's when it started, when I dropped Davis off Grant started to get sad, "but mom I don't think I want to go to school anymore. Why do kids have to go to school? Where is Davis? How come Davis isn't going to school? Mom, I don't want to go to school anymore," and his little voice started to quiver and the crying began before we even got there. I tried to calm his fears telling him how much fun he was going to have, all the new friends he was going to meet, all the cool things he was going to learn, etc etc. As we pulled up, his school is 4 minutes from our house, he got really sad. It was a different sad. He wasn't resisting and wasn't making loud crying noises, he was trying to be brave, but was genuinely scared. I didn't really expect it to have an effect on me, but all of the sudden it was like I was back starting my first day of school! I felt all this anxiety for him, and I got the nervous stomach, and I almost starting crying as I was telling him he was going to be fine and it was going to be great fun! C'mon it's preschool, but it was strangely hard to leave him there. We went inside and found his name-tag. He was clinging to my leg and just as he was about to have a breakdown, and I choking back tears, his teacher came to the rescue....put her arm around him and said "Grant come sing the dinosaur song with me!" The day we observed the school back in June, the kids sang the dinosaur song and Grant was totally obsessed with it. He took her hand and everything was fine. It took about 3 days to get used to it, but now he LOVES school. It's weird to think that now he will be in school for the rest of his life! He will never be home with me all day again (he actually only goes two days a week right now, but ya know). He's a great little student and enjoys learning. Thank goodness.


He picked out his Toy Story back pack and LOVES it.



1 comment:

S.A.S. said...

Oh my gosh, he looks SO grown-up with that hair cut! I love his little buzz. Grant is so handsome. I can't believe he's in school, and I got the pit in the stomach with you describing his quivering voice as he approached. So glad he's loving it and that you found a great place to introduce him to school. Do you really have a preschooler?!